Sunday, March 1, 2015

Cleaning Convictions

Our household has been in the midst of yet another remodel project, except this time it was forced on us because of water damage. It's always something! Anyway, the biggest piece of this project was putting in new flooring in the dining room and kitchen. One day while they were working on it, J called to inform/warn me that the workers ended up creating a huge dust storm. I was not planning on construction dust. I thought it would be a "clean" project, as far as that goes. It was not.

The rest of that week, much time was spent cleaning off surfaces. I looked in at the adjoining bathroom and it didn't look bad at all, so I didn't give it a "special" cleaning - instead waiting until I would just normally clean it anyway. As I was working through my normal bathroom cleaning routine, I took my damp towel and wiped the floor. The towel was completely brown. The more I looked and the more I wiped, the more dirt and dust I found. I marveled at how something that seemed so clean could "secretly" be so filthy!

And then, right there - 7 months pregnant, on all fours, trying to reach that spot behind the toilet - God used my current condition to shed some light on my life. The thought and words struck me like Cam driving his dump truck full-force across the room and into my legs (a real problem at our house): MY HEART.

I want my heart and my life to be genuinely clean. That the goodness would be clear and that it would hold up even when someone comes in and gives it a wipe down, looking for evidence of dust and dirt. Sometimes the sin in our life is the toothpaste trail in the sink, but sometimes it's just a thin layer of dust hiding on the top ledge of the mirror. Either way, it needs to be cleaned up.

No comments:

Post a Comment